A Song for Julia by Charles Sheehan-Miles
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Wow what a beautiful story that will touch you in so many ways! Is it a love story you ask? The answer is yes, but there is also so much more to this amazing story. I promise you will fall in love with Julia and Crank and you will hurt with/for them and struggle with emotion for them.
They first meet at an anti-war protest. Do you know the expression opposites attract? well that somewhat fits with Julia, a Harvard student and Crank, a singer/song writer for his band Morbid Obesity. He has the tattoos, the piercings, the whole bad boy image while Julia is the extremely bright, nicely dressed, come from money type, yet the attraction to each other is there and the one thing they do have in common is music.
He grinned and pulled a seat out for me—an unexpected gesture for someone who looked volatile and dangerous.
“You don’t want to see me again,” he said. I did. But I shook my head no. “You don’t sleep with guys unless you’re serious with them,” he said. “I don’t have room for serious in my life.” He stepped close and brushed my lips with his, then spoke in a low tone. “I want you to be serious about me,” he said. “I can get a girl to sleep with me any time. But there’s something different about you.”
Their second encounter is brief and their third is so unexpected. As their friendship/relationship develops we start to learn more about Julia and her not so pleasant past. My heart literally broke for her, the pain and suffering she endured. She was so strong to make it through everything that happened but yet scared of everything and convinced herself that she would never love again.
But the one thing I don’t have? I don’t have anyone to trust.
My heart also broke for Crank as I watched him struggle with feelings so foreign to him and unlike any of his past meaningless relationships with various women.
I wanted her. I wanted her so badly I was shaking. And for the first time since I was a preteen, standing up on a stage and shouting obscenities wasn’t going to get me what I wanted. I had no idea what to do.
I enjoyed this book so much. It touched on so many serious issues and emotional situations that will touch your soul. You will laugh and you will cry. Both Julia and Crank have had to deal with some unpleasant things from their childhood but what they are able to overcome once they learn to love and trust is absolutely beautiful.
Charles Sheehan-Miles writes about emotions, reality, love, trust, pain and suffering and so much more. His writing flows beautifully page after page all the way to the end. I highly recommend this book as well as his other one, Just Remember to Breathe. You will not be disappointed. A very loving and oh so realistic story that will leave you happy in the end.
Home’s where the people you love are. It’s about finding the things that matter to you, and holding on to them and taking care of them.
View all my reviews
Buy A Song for Julia here
- ~Contact Tanya, Sole Owner of Bookhooking's Blog~
- ~Would you like to ADVERTISE on Bookhooking?~
- ~My Book Boyfriends Hall of Fame~
- ~Check Out The BOOKSTORE For All Your Romance Reads~
- ~Confessionals, Thoughts, Truths, Random Shit, Etc.~Created 07/10/14
- ~JANUARY New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~FEBRUARY New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~MARCH New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~APRIL New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~May New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~June New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~July New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~AUGUST New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~SEPTEMBER New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~OCTOBER New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~NOVEMBER New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017
- ~DECEMBER New Book Releases~In Date Order~2017